What is Red Light Therapy
Red light therapy is a non-invasive, simple, and “controversial” therapeutic treatment that exposes you to low-level red light wavelength or near-infrared light for treating cells, skin issues such as psoriasis, eczema & wrinkles among many more. One thing to note here is that near-infrared light is not visible to the naked eye, however red light is.
Where Did It Come From
It was not invented by one single scientist or organization overnight who can claim the sole credit. Constant development in the field of light therapy, LASER, and LED technology is the output of today’s Red light therapy.
Having said that, I must mention the name of Dr. Neils Ryberg Finsen who was awarded the Nobel prize in the field of medicine back in 1903 for the use of light therapy, whose contribution led to this development in this field which is significantly undeniable. Along with him, NASA has also played a vital role in the 1980s when they explored the use of light therapy in space for growing plants in order to feed Astronauts. After the initial success, NASA went deeper with the use of LED lights for tissue healing and found positive results again. Nowadays these experiments & research fueled the advancement of inventive and effective LED’s. The advancement presently utilized in therapeutic treatment & aesthetic facilities.
The Key Benefits of Red Light Therapy
The key benefits of red light therapy are in abundance for a variety of physiological effects the wavelength induces in the body. The therapy works at the cellular level. To be more specific, it stimulates the production of ATP(adenosine triphosphate) in Mitochondria which is responsible for creating energy in our body and also known as the powerhouse of the cell. Our body contains tons of cells and these cells require energy to function properly. So the higher the amount of ATP in Mitochondria, the higher the amount of energy in our cell, allowing the cells to function better and make us feel healthier.
In a nutshell, RLT improves the function of the cellular respiration process, impacting the mitochondria which result in efficient use of ATP. Having ample energy, our cells function better, rejuvenate themselves, and repair damage.
Aesthetic & Healthcare Application
As mentioned earlier, red light therapy is widely used in healthcare and also for aesthetic applications. We will now talk in detail about its various applications and benefits.
Skin Health Recovery
- There is no shortage of research that red light therapy heals wounds rapidly by increasing tissue recovery. Besides, repairing sun damage, fading stretch marks & scars along with smoothing skin tones are some of the benefits of using RLT.
- RLT rejuvenates your skin by increasing collagen production in the skin which helps reduce wrinkles, resulting in younger-looking skin.
- RLT is also used for treating skin issues like Eczema and Psoriasis.
Bonus Tip: Couple Red Light Therapy with Essential Oils and See Some Major Changes
It may surprise you but RLT has a positive effect on our brain health. Red light therapy boosts brain function, helps learn quickly, treats brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s, & combats cognitive decline, and recovery stroke.
Enhancing Bone Recovery
Red light therapy has a healing capability of our facial bones. It also improves our bone structure and density. Not only that but also RLT helps to grow new bones and improves the biochemical property of bones.
- If you are experiencing sharp stabbing pain, feeling numbness in your hand, or feet, you might have a nervous system condition called neuropathy. And you will be glad to know that it can be treated with RLT.
- Exposure to RLT mitigates pain & inflammation, relieving patients from diseases like osteoarthritis knee pain, meniscus tears, general knee pain, rheumatoid arthritis, and back pain.
By now it’s apparent to us that RLT has many useful applications. Even though RLT is safe,non-invasive & natural, there have been very few incidents reported. Here are some concerns and their obvious plus sides, which includes,
- It is vouched by NASA
- Doesn’t require any medicine or chemical intake.
- It’s Pain-Free & easy to use.
- Boosts full-body vitality and safe for all skin types.
- Can be done at home.
- Very slim chances of cancer at the later stage of life. Some burn issues have been reported.
- Direct exposure to the eye is harmful like any other light. (This red light therapy side effect showed positive output according to a King’s College London Research)
- It requires continued sessions which is time-consuming & costly.
- Not suitable for individuals on medication for depression and other psychological issues.
If this list of advantages is not enough for you, then read some more benefits of using RLT below
Red Light Therapy for Sleep
Nowadays, our life is intertwined with electronic gadgets and devices which constantly emit blue light. Most of us are not aware of the fact that our brain is hard-wired to wake up to blue light, as a result, a good number of people suffer from sleep disorder as they wish to fall asleep while looking at their smartphones or any other devices. The good news is. Using Red Light for Sleep is a proven solution now, as they stimulate melatonin production which improves sleep and mood and can help ease discomfort from physical causes of insomnia.
Red Light Therapy For Testosterone
Testosterone is a hormone that is responsible for men’s ability to perform sexually and reproduce. During puberty, the production of testosterone increases, and after 30 starts to decrease which is a natural process of aging. Red light therapy boosts Testosterone which helps to naturally improve sexual drive, energy, mood, and overall vitality.
By now it is apparent to us that red light therapy has multidimensional useful application and yet RLT does not cease to amaze us. RLT can protect the retinal cell, reduce vision loss, and stimulate proper eye function without any side effects. Most importantly, it helps in treating age-related ocular disorders such as macular degeneration and glaucoma.
There’s always a flip side of the coin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: Red light therapy is a type of body sculpting, as it is known as low-level laser therapy it may help you to get rid of belly fat. Also, some research shows that you can have some removal fat from your waist and arm using red light therapy.
Ans: To get the best results, it is suggested that one should take 20 minutes a session from 3 to 5 times per week.