You have all heard of or used Essential Oil at some point in your life. You are most probably here reading this either because you noticed the increased hype around it or came about a lot of essential oil hacks, and you want to put them to good use.
There are many things great about essential oils, and one I personally like in particular is the fact that you can make so many things with it, enough to fill shelves and racks of your local bodega.
So, today, I will take you through these quick fixes and cosmetic recipes you can cook up using the good essential oils and briefly mention the many benefits you can reap through these.
1. Castile Soaps
Believe it or not, you can make homemade soaps, amongst other things, with essential oil. Not only are they better, but the ingredients I will use are free of commercial cosmetic components, some of which can be harmful to the human skin to some extent.
The best part about this is that you can use Castile soaps to clean your body, your floor, house, and even your pet.
So, if you’re wondering about how to make homemade soap, here’s the ingredients you’ll need:
- 3 cups of distilled water
- 3 Tbsp Castile Soap
- 3.14 oz
- 15 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 2 cup 60/40 blend of Coconut & Olive oil
- 7 drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 5 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 3.15 oz Caustic Soda(Lye)
- 6 quarts CrockPot
- Immersion Blender
- Digital Scale
- Heavy Rubber Gloves
- Measure the coconut and olive oil blend in the crockpot. Set the heat to max(120-130 degrees), so the coconut oil melts.
- Add and measure the stye into a small glass bowl, and then proceed to add the LYE to the distilled water. (Not the other way around)
- The Lye-Water solution should start bubbling & fizzing, as the lye begins dissolving.
- Slowly pour the Lye solution into the oil content in the crockpot and set the heat to medium.
- Use the immersion blender to use it to beat the mixture until it reaches a smooth, consistent creamy adhesive-like texture. (Should take around 10 minutes)
- Cook the mixture while in the crockpot on high heat until translucent gel compound forms.
- Stir every 30 minutes, and check after 3 hours.
- Add in the essential oils and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the content into a mold to shape your soap bar, and give it 2 days for the mold to form.
- P.S- If you want a liquid soap, use potassium hydroxide as the stye.
2. Shower Scrub
- 24 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 24 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 6 drops of Rose Essential Oil
- 1 1/2 ounce of Cocoa Butter
- 1 1/2 ounces of Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup Whole Almonds
- 5 Ounce Plastic Squeeze Bottle
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the cocoa butter and coconut oil in a glass bowl.
- Heat it in the oven until the mixture melts.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Stir the mixture slowly as you start adding in the essential oils.
- Add the brown sugar.
- Drain the content from the bowl into your tube/dispenser.
- Let the scrub cool, and you are done.
3. All Rounder Ointment
I, too, was surprised to find out that you could use sweet smelling essential oils to make all-purpose salves. I suppose this was a given, with all these great properties each of these oils come with.
- 1-ounce glass lotion vial
- 5 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil, Copaiba Essential Oil and
- 1-ounce glass lotion vial
- 5 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil, Copaiba Essential Oil and Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 2 oz Raw Coconut Oil
- Add the coconut oil into a glass bowl.
- Add in the Essential Oils.
- Start Mixing using an Immersion Blender.
- Transfer the content a glass vial, and you’re done.
4. Scented Bath Salts
Homemade Bath Salt are the most underrated toiletries, but once you get used to them, you can never go back. Making bath salts are the epitome of DIY pleasures. You get the same old bath salt, with your own preferred scent, and you can leave yours free of toxins and harsh ingredients.
- 1 cups of Epsom Salt
- 1 cup of Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2 Tsp Apricot Oil
- 5 drops of Eucalyptus Oil
- 5 drops of Organic Palmarosa Oil
- 1 Glass Jar
- Add in all the ingredients.
- Break any clumps that may form.
- Now pour into the intended container.
They say perfume is a girl’s best friend. And admittedly, I melt like butter if anyone ever gets me a perfume. I have trial and errored many different types, and hopefully, you will all like the one I decided to share.
- 3 tablespoons carrier oil
- 6½ tablespoons of 100 proof vodka(190-proof would be best)
- 3 tablespoons distilled water
- 10 drops of top notes
- 16 drops of middle notes
- 7 drops of base note
- Add the carrier oil into the intended perfume bottle.
- Add the base note.
- Add the middle note.
- Add the top note.
- Add the alcohol.
- Let the mixture sit for 2 days. (You can let it sit for up to 1.5 months)
- Give one shake and spray away.
**Follow the instructions accurately.
There are various benefits you can achieve through essential oils treatments. Our forefathers have been using these for centuries, for its aroma and countless other health and cosmetical benefits.
The number of applications for essential oil is increasing with each passing month, so feel free to experiment, and if you want more essential oil articles published, let me know in the comment section below.
If you liked this article, then you may also like our “Makeup Essentials to Keep in Your Makeup Bag“
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can breathing essential oils be harmful?
Q. Can you mix too many essential oils together?
What's Your Reaction?
Melissa Weimer is a nutrition expert who has helped thousands of people to create a healthy diet for weight loss and to maintain a good health.