Rowing machines are amazing workout gears for training your abs. These machines have a low impact on your body and involve 83% of your entire body muscle. Thus, you can strengthen your core effectively at home if you get your hands on the best rowing machine for an apartment.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Once you get familiar with the motion to operate a rowing machine, you can easily get one to use in your apartment. However, you will need to consider various factors like how much spare space you have, how much noise your rowing machine makes, etc.
There are a lot of rowing machines available in the market. We have reviewed twenty devices and came up with a list of the five best rowing machines for apartments. Here we will discuss these devices in detail. Also, we will discuss the factors you need to consider before purchasing a rowing machine.
Best Rowing Machine for Apartment
1. Sunny Health & Fitness Compact Folding Rowing Machine
- 285lb weight capacity
- 16 tension levels
- Oversized seating arrangement
- Foldable design
This rowing machine is very affordable, and the foldable design makes it a compact rowing machine for apartments that can fit in even in a small space. With 16 levels of tension, you can reach your fitness goals easily.
This device features a bottle holder and device holder for ease of use. You can get a very smooth exercise experience for this device’s ergonomic design. A large seat allows you to propel this device very comfortably.
You can check your vitality records in the display. For easy transposing, this device has transportation wheels. This device gives you a better exercise experience at an affordable price.
- Affordable price
- Makes less noise
- Easy to assemble
- The LCD display is very simpler
- Your feet may not touch the ground if you are not too heavy
2. Concept 2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
- Performance tracking monitor
- Adjustable design
- Separates into two-piece
- Air resistance mechanism
- 90-days return window
From concept 2 brand Model D indoor rowing machine is great for apartments with small space. You can easily separate the two parts for storing this device and assemble it whenever you need it.
This one is a quiet rowing machine as the flywheel is designed to reduce noise and smooth movement. The resistance is built here through the air. This model has a 14” comfortable seat height attached with stainless steel track for smooth and consistent exercise motion.
You can connect this device with popular fitness apps to track your vitality. Also, you can sign up for Concept 2’s workout of the day emails and join online challenges.
You can easily control your workout intensity and track your progress on performance monitor 5 in real-time. If you want a minimum noise cardio machine, this is the best option for you.
- Makes very little noise
- Air resistance also helps the device to keep cool
- Smooth workout experience
- Easier to set up and use
- Wireless connection for heart-rate monitor
- Some people may not find the seat comfortable
- The monitor is oversimplified
3. JKANGFIT Folding Rowing Machine
- 300lbs weight capacity
- 16 different tension levels
- Smooth and silent workout
- Foldable design
- Large digital monitor
- Anti-slip handlebar and foot pedals
This rowing machine is very sturdy and stable to use in your apartment. It has 48inches side rails and plenty of leg extension room. It makes very low noise and has 16 adjustable levels of magnetic resistance.
This is the best device for small apartments as the foldable design takes very little space in your home. It’s that kind of rowing machine that fits under the bed. This lightweight rowing machine features a large display to show your performance and progress. You can even keep your phone and iPad in the additional device holder.
For a better exercise experience, the device features an anti-slip handlebar and foot pedals. Adjustable feet back allows you to balance the device on any surface.
JKANGFIT offers one year of free parts replacement. This machine has a 6’3” height capacity.
- Takes very little space
- Smooth workout experience
- Easily foldable
- Makes very little noise
- Not suitable for people more than 6’3” hight
- The resistance level can be too low for some people
4. Merax Magnetic Rowing Machine
- 330lb weight capacity
- Magnetic resistance
- 8 different tension level
- Adjustable LED display
In this rowing machine, you can manually adjust the resistance. The seat is modeled to match your body’s curvature. The foot pedals are adjustable and slip-resistant to bring you the best workout experience.
The aluminum rail matched with a plastic sliding mount ensures smooth and silent sliding action. With the adjustable LED display, you can easily track your vitality data.
You can put an additional device rack to hold your iPad or phone to enjoy your favorite show while exercising. This device comes with built-in transportable wheels. There is also a plastic pad attached to the machine to prevent scratching your floor.
This device comes with a one-year warranty. This device is great for getting your best workout experience.
- Gives the best workout experience
- Easier to assemble
- 8 resistance levels
- Poor customer service
- Sometimes make loud noises
5. Sunny Health Obsidian Surge 500 Water Rower
- Digital monitor
- 8 magnetic level resistance
- Non-slip feet pedals
- Foldable design
- Anti-slip handlebar
- Floor stabilizer
This device is from Sunny Health & fitness brand and uses magnetic resistance for toning your abs. The large LCD display tracks your vitality data and helps you reach your fitness goal.
The extra-long side rail is very helpful for accommodating people with different heights. You will have access to 8 magnetic level resistance so that you can work out properly.
For transporting the device, there are transportation wheels. The non-slip feet pedals will help you exercise without feeling unbalanced.
- Lightweight and sturdy steel frame
- 16 hydro-blades that mimic the dynamic movements of competitive rowing.
- The fitness meter tracks all essential workout metrics.
- High-density non-marking rubber wheels
- Can be stored upright when not in use.
- The machine is a bit heavy for aged women.
Buying Guide: What to Consider Before Buying a Rowing Machine for Small Spaces
While buying a rowing machine for an apartment, you should consider the following factors:
- Resistance: Different rowing machines utilize different resistance mechanisms, air, water, magnets. If you want a device for intense workouts, you should get the water-resistance one. Air resistance devices will provide you with less resistance.
- Portability: You may need to move your device once in a while. So, purchasing a portable device or a foldable one is highly recommended.
- Noise Control: As you are using your device in your apartment, you want to have the one that makes almost no noise. So, make sure to check how much noise your device makes before buying.
- Capacity: It is wise to check the capacity of your rowing machine before purchasing. Some devices may not accommodate over 280lb, while some devices will be harder to operate for shorter or taller people. So, make sure you are getting the device that serves your needs.
- Price: There are various price ranges for rowing machines available. Find out which one serves you the best at your price range.
How to Make the Rowing Machine Fit for Apartments
The first thing you need to do is measure the amount of space you have in your apartment. You will need at least six feet of space in order to use the rowing machine. If you do not have enough space, you can always purchase a foldable rower.
The next step is to assemble the rowing machine. Most machines come with assembly instructions, but if you are having trouble, you can always watch a video online. Once the machine is assembled, you need to adjust the settings to fit your height. You can find the height adjustment screws on the side or back of the machine. Check out this assembling video by concept2usa:
Finally, you need to determine the resistance level. This can be done by turning the knob on the side of the machine.
Now you are ready to start rowing!
For full-body workouts and strengthening your core, rowing machines are great devices. With practice, you can easily learn the motion and start working out for better health.
We have discussed the best rowing machines for the apartments above. Each machine has its own set of pros and cons. Some devices will give you a completely noise-free experience; some are cheaper. You can easily choose one device from them.
As rowing machines give you multiple benefits, give them a chance to elevate your exercise routine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans: Water rowers are not too loud for apartments. In fact, they are relatively quiet and make a minimal amount of noise. This makes them ideal for people who live in apartments and want to enjoy a good workout without disturbing their neighbors.
Ans: Yes. By maintaining proper motion, you can lose your body fat on a rowing machine.
Stephanie Ferland is an ex-gym trainer whose goal is to help people to achieve their desired fit body by doing effective exercises. She is also the founder of FitGirl Nation and a corporate wellness expert who’s crafted some of the world’s most popular workouts. With just nine and a half years of experience as a professional fitness trainer, Stephanie is often called a “Fit Celebrity.” Meet Stephanie and find out the 3 reasons why she never misses a workout!