Textured skin is the trouble and worry for most women. But with modern innovation, textured skin is a thing of the past.
The reason behind textured skin on the face is usually a buildup of dead skin. Exfoliating is an option, but it takes time to work. Plus, sometimes you need a quick fix to even out the skin, and that is where Foundation comes in.
There are many foundations for face, but these all come with their fair share of lacking. Not all foundation covers your skin the same way.
Some work better without scars, while others work better with filling up the pores.
I have compiled a list of the best foundation for textured skin I used over the years and mentioned all the Pros and Cons in short, so you don’t have to go through pillar sized reviews.
5 Best Foundation for Textured Skin
1. BECCA Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation
Becca Ultimate Coverage foundation has its fair share of hype among the users and on the internet as well.
A plus side of this particular foundation is that it won’t give you that cakey look that often comes with most ‘Full Coverage’ foundations.
If you are a victim of oily skin, then BECCA Ultimate Coverage is an excellent foundation for you, as it comes with a ‘microfine powder, which absorbs oil from your face and helps you retain the mint of your face.
This is how Becca cosmetics are engineered to provide extra value to stand out from the competition. You can say goodbye to your shiny forehead reflection.
BECCA Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation
- Come in 19 shades.
- High Customer Satisfaction.
- The pump mechanism of the bottle is top-notch.
- Bit pricey.
- Doesn’t cover ALL skin tones.
- It needs to be implemented with a moisturizing agent or gets too dry.
2. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage Foundation
The Tarte Amazonian Clay is my personal favorite in the list, and I’m currently using this. It comes with great skincare properties that help fight off acne-prone skin.
The unique clay comes abundant in Vitamin E, which is like an organic preservative and is considerably thick, and is waterproof.
So when you couple this ‘mud from mother nature’ with a full coverage foundation, you can expect great things. It comes free of gluten, paraben, mineral oil, and sodium lauryl sulfate. It’s practically vegan grade.
Even though the product markets itself as a full coverage makeup, it’s more mid coverage in the sense that you need more ‘finger work’ to set it right.
Still, this matte finish foundation will definitely get you through the day with ease.
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage Foundation
- Naturally heals and balances skin over time.
- Medium coverage can be built up according to the user’s needs.
- It comes in 40 different shades.
- Compatible with all skin types, especially aging skin.
- Effectively prevents the breakout.
- More content in 1 bottle than in most foundations.
- Dermatologist Approved.
- SPF 15
- Not Full Coverage like the brand boasts.
3. Dermablend Cover Crème Foundation
The Dermablend Cover Creme Foundation gives you one of those one-shade-fits-all kinds of the deal while maintaining a natural look. Other brands offer more shades, but the shades that come with this particular foundation are all designed for all the different skin tones.
The Cover Creme Foundation line just underwent new formulation and new packaging. You open the tab into a smooth, creamy texture with no scent.
In my opinion, the coverage is medium to full at best, but it’s dense enough to get you through the day’s events with a full matte finish.
Another plus point of this beauty product is that it’s approved by dermatologists. So you don’t have to worry about any unexpected rashes or acne popping out.
Dermablend Cover Crème Foundation
- A heavy-duty foundation that conceals bruises, birthmarks, and textured skin alike.
- 21 shades for a wide spectrum of skin tones
- Smudge and transfer-resistant up to 16 hours.
- Free of Parabens, Triclosan, Phthalates, and Sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Dermatologist Approved
- Not a good base concealer.
- It starts cracking when kept on for a prolonged period.
- Runs off with minimal sweat.
- Contrary to popular demand, the former formula is better for most.
4. Estee Lauder Double Wear
A common issue for most dewy makeup foundation users is the lack of shade that blends well with the right skin tone.
With Estee Lauder’s Double wear stay-in-place foundation, you can rest assured that whatever your skin complexion may be, this Estee Lauder foundation can match the right shade for you.
The foundation itself is so light that it almost looks natural, and you won’t even be able to tell that it lasts for long hours. Thank god for science!
If this isn’t the best textured skin makeup, then it undoubtedly is one of the best. The same applies to most Estee Lauder makeup out there.
Completely evens out the uneven texture of your face like baby skin.
So, you don’t have to worry about them annoying blemishes, acne, and pimple ruining your day.
This Double Wear foundation is completely oil-free, so if you have an oily face, then this is the right pick for you.
Another great thing about this foundation is that its waterproof formula will get you through hot, sweaty summer days with ease.
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup | 24-Hour Wear, Flawless, Natural, Matte Foundation for All Skin Types |
- Over 55 Shades.
- Waterproof Formula.
- 24-hour coverage.
- Natural Looking.
- Complains of the foundation being cakey.
- Some customers ranted about the sun protection factor deteriorating.
5. Bella Terra BB Cream Tinted Moisturizer
A majority of the foundations don’t come with the right skincare components. Especially when it comes to skincare for textured skin.
There shouldn’t be any drugstore foundation for textured skin. PERIOD.
So, I have put in one that does come with just the right balance.
The Bella Terra 3-in-1 BB cream does not only conceal blemishes, dark circles, wrinkles, and moisturizes but fights aging through proper care of your skin.
It projects a very natural look that will get you through the day. Another great thing about Bella Terra BB cream is that it is very light on the skin, so you don’t have to worry about carrying around that congested feel on your face. You can vary the density of the concealer however you want to.
This foundation’s formula comes with the essential skincare ingredients to invigorate your face after heavy use of the foundation by incorporating high-quality minerals- mica, zinc, and magnesium.
This natural, mineral-based BB cream comes with no added parabens, alcohol, preservatives, talc, or chemicals that usually leave your skin harsh and textured after long hours.
This fantastic foundation comes with SPF 15 protection, so you can expect the complexion of your face to get better over time.
Bella Terra cosmetics are always dependable and the brand will find itself in a lot of quality cosmetics list.
Bella Terra BB Cream Tinted Moisturizer
- Natural, mineral-based formula.
- Lasts long.
- Customizable as per need.
- Can conceal scars & blemishes.
- SPF 15.
- Come in 6 shades.
- The design of the pump is inefficiently designed and can squirt out quite a bit.
What is Textured Skin?
Skin texture is a condition on the surface of the skin. Usually, all the skins are comparatively smooth, soft, and agile. But the skin might not remain this way if the skin is dry, scarred, or even if there is a loss of collagen due to aging.
These are not just the only reasons that can cause damage to the texture of your skin; lack of exfoliation and even excessive amounts of sunlight exposure can also damage skin texture.
Uneven skin texture is primarily the result of the accumulation of excessive dead skin cells on the skin’s surface. This can eventually make your skin feel bumpy and rough. Moreover, this can also be the prime reason for your skin’s dull appearance.
What Does Textured Skin Look Like?
If you ask, “what is textured skin?” According to My Domaine, the definition of textured skin is “skin texture is the condition of the surface of your skin. Ideally, the skin is smooth, soft, and supple, but it can be uneven or dull due to dry skin, blemishes, loss of collagen from aging, sun damage, or lack of exfoliation.”
Having textured skin is a bit like having combination skin type, except instead of oily and dry parts of the face, you will have blemishes, or collagen loss, or even sun damage, which will make the overall skin of the face uneven.
It’s a condition which can be managed through a clean change in lifestyle.
How Do I Know if I Have Textured Skin?
The first and foremost way of identifying whether or not you have skin texture is by feeling your skin. For instance, it can be the bumpy areas of your skin where the make-up doesn’t fit in properly, and when you touch it, you can feel it be rough and congested.
Some even claim that their skin feels “sandy” or have those gritty patches that make the skin feel very rough. Some acne healing scars and over-exfoliating can also give your skin that uneven texture.
Now, what are the primary causes of skin texture problems?
Here are some of the primary causes:
- Ingredient sensitivities.
- Skin issues
- Unhealthy diet plan
These are some of the primary reasons you might start to develop texture issues with your skin. And I’ll highly recommend you to see a dermatologist if these texture issues keep on going as they can slowly demolish your skin’s natural beauty.
How to Choose A Good Foundation
Choosing a good foundation can be very tricky, due to the availability of so many options. If you choose a wrong one, not only it will ruin your makeup, but also it might be harmful for your skin.
Here are the things to consider while choosing a good foundation:
- You must check the key ingredients of a foundation before purchasing to make sure you don’t choose one that contains something too sensitive to your skin.
- Though some of the newer brands are quite exceptional, it is your best bet to choose foundations from reputed brands.
- To get the best out of your makeup, your foundation should match well with your skin tone.
- If it takes too much effort to get rid of the foundation once the need for your makeup is over, it is not worth it. Choose one that comes off easily.
- And lastly, the price is an important factor. Check reviews before purchasing a product, instead of buying expensive ones thinking it is destined to be good.
Make-up Foundation Routine for Textured Skin
Now, if you want to make your foundation look precisely like a second skin, then there are a few foundation routines that you need to follow.
Here are some ways you can make your foundation stick on as if it’s your actual skin!
1. Clean Your Face And Moisturize Thoroughly
The very first step before applying your foundation is cleaning your face thoroughly. Remember, before you use any make-up products, always wash your face with clean water so that there’s no dust or dirt in the pores of your face.
After that, moisturize your skin as it’ll give that supercharge glow to your face. You can always start by applying a hydrating facial mask and then follow it up with a perfect lymphatic facial massage.
Your face mask can contain the following ingredients:
- Rose ( remove the oiliness)
- Aloe ( cure your dryness)
- Green tea ( soothe inflammation)
So, after masking, start massaging your moisturizer into your skin to boost circulation and decrease puffiness. This will eventually create a natural glow that’ll make your skin look more awake and active.
2. Prime if Needed
Prime or don’t prime? It’s a common question among many women. Now, here’s the best answer to this question. If you have no issues with keeping the foundation on your face all day, you can surely skin the primer.
But if you think and feel to have that more “airbrushed look” to your face and your foundation cannot bring that aesthetic look, you can surely use a primer to give your face that “airbrushed look.”
3. Work in Layers
Many women think that a single layer of an entire coverage foundation is pretty enough for a glowing and flawless face.
Well, this might be true; the skin you’ll end up with will indeed appear more natural if you work with delicate layers. This way, you could slowly build coverage on your face until you are entirely satisfied, instead of just buffing away excess product from your face. It’ sit’s a secret technique that celebrity make-up artists apply to perfect the stars’ skin!
4. The Touch-up
Lastly, you can give the finishing touch either with your brush or your fingers. This will allow you to buff the entire foundation right onto your skin, providing a more smooth and striking finishing to your face.
What to Look for in a Liquid Foundation for Textured Skin?
It’s essential that you look for certain things when choosing a liquid foundation for your textured skin.
- Ensure that the brand you are using is authentic, as fake ones might cause severe damage to your skin, and the texture might get permanently damaged.
- Moreover, the ingredients present in the liquid foundation play a vital role in bringing your face glow and charm. Always look for the ingredients in your foundation. And if you are unsure of how these ingredients might help, you can always ask your providers to tell you the details.
- Always know what type of liquid foundation you need based on your skin. Different skin types (oily, dry, combination) have different kinds of liquid foundations.
- Different foundations have different price ranges. So, you need to know the price of the foundation you are choosing.
- SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is essential for protecting your skin from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation. Therefore, ensure that your liquid foundation has SPF to protect your skin when you set out in the daylight.
- Liquid foundations with matte finishing will give full coverage and a natural look to your skin. It even resists shifting shades throughout the entire day due to the oxidation property.
- The better the quality of the liquid foundation, the longer it’ll last on your skin. So, always check how long-lasting your foundation is!
There is no BEST foundation in the market, just different shades, and consistency for different skin types, so depending on what your needs are, you pick the one that blends best with your skin. Hence, the reason behind all the PROs and CONs list.
Moreover, you should ask yourself how to get rid of textured skin without cosmetics, as depending on chemicals should not be the only option for anything.
If you personally don’t agree with this list of the best foundation for textured skin or stumble upon better alternatives, do share your thoughts with the rest of us in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans: Foundations are not that important to use for makeup but yes, If you have uneven textured skin, the foundation will help you to smoothen your face & minimize the appearance of large pores.
Ans: If you want to apply a flawless natural foundation, a sponge will be the ideal one. On the other hand, brushes are best for placing the shadow and applying the powder.
Ans: Yes, you can. Even mixing the primer with the foundation will give you longer-lasting durability than cream foundation and powder.
Ans: Primer is used on the face before any other makeup is applied, it is used to last longer the makeup. And, the foundation is a sticky liquid that closely resembles skin color, applied above the primer.
What's Your Reaction?
Dr. Sandra Milena Gomez is a Korean obstetrician and gynecologist, specialized in minimally invasive gynecological surgery from the American Association of Laparoscopic Gynecologists, with extensive knowledge in the management of gynecological and obstetric diseases, as well as surgical procedures. She is a colposcopist and for management of lower tract pathology, diagnosis and treatment of diseases at the uterine level. She is a general practitioner with an emphasis on management and public health.